The educational program for the 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting includes the presentation of scientific data as Oral Presentations, Rapid-fire Oral Presentations and E-posters. Abstracts submitted for the 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting are peer-reviewed and scored on scientific merit, originality and the relevancy to the field of neurosurgery. Although scientific data is important, the quality of the abstract is the primary determinant for acceptance by the AANS Scientific Program Committee.
Submit Your Abstract
The 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting Abstract Center is closed for submissions, as of Tuesday, Oct. 24, 2017, at 5 p.m. CDT.
Abstract Center FAQs
When is the submission deadline?
The Abstract Center closes Tuesday, Oct. 24, at 5 p.m. CDT.
What are the presentation formats?
- Oral Presentations
The highest-ranked abstracts will be selected for presentation in one of three Plenary Sessions, seven Scientific Sessions or 10 Section Sessions. These sessions take place Monday through Wednesday of the meeting.
- Rapid-fire Oral Presentations
The Rapid-fire Oral Presentations are limited to three minutes and ten slides. The sessions are organized by abstract category and take place Monday through Wednesday of the meeting.
These abstracts are presented only through the AANS App. No physical presentation time or location will be provided. The E-posters are visible through the entirety of the 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting on the AANS App and are available through the App for one year after the conclusion of the meeting. The presenting authors will have the opportunity to upload a supplemental PDF presentation to accompany their original submission on the App from Monday, Feb. 26-Friday, March 16, 2018. Late submissions will not be accepted.
What information is required to complete a submission?
- Presenting Author: Individual who is submitting the abstract. All correspondence will be done with the presenting author.
- Title: As an example, a properly formatted title would read: “Neurosurgery Research Principles and Dynamics,” not “Neurosurgery research principles and dynamics.”
- Abstract Body: Should include:
- Introduction – A brief statement regarding the purpose of the study and the current state of research in the field.
- Methods – The method(s) of study or experimental approach must be briefly defined.
- Results – A summary of the study results, including sufficient details to support those conclusions must be described.
- Conclusions – A statement explaining the significance of the work and its implications for further research.
- List Authors: Up to 11 list authors can be included. Their full names with credentials, city and state or country must be included.
- Presentation Preference: Please note whether the preferred format is an Oral Presentation, E-poster or both.
- Additional Information: This includes elements such as study design, award consideration, previous submission of abstract, previous presentation on abstract, sponsor (required) and Food & Drug Administration (FDA) approval.
- Disclosure: This is required for presenting author, as well as agreement with Terms and Conditions.
- Review Work
- Confirmation:A confirmation letter will be sent after successful submission of the abstract.
Please note: Abstracts selected for the 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting cannot contain advertising, trade names or a product-group message. Please include generic names or terms in your abstract content. If the abstract includes trade names, names from several companies should be used — not just trade names from a single company — to present all available treatment options. If trade names or company names are included in your abstract, the AANS reserves the right to remove them to ensure all scientific content is free from commercial bias.
Can I edit my submission?
Yes, you may make any edits until the submission deadline for the Abstract Center. Edits would include changing the title, adding or deleting authors or changing the abstract body. Once the review process begins, no changes to the submissions are allowed — no exceptions. Please note that any typographical or spelling errors, improperly formatted titles, etc., will not be edited by anyone at the AANS. It is the responsibility of the submitter to review and verify all work submitted. After making changes to your abstract, please remember to RE-SUBMIT the abstract even if submitted.
Please note: After making changes to your abstract, please remember to RESUBMIT the abstract even if submitted previously. The Abstract Submittal Status must read COMPLETE if it is to be reviewed.
Can I submit charts, graphs or images with abstract submission?
No, the AANS does not allow for any of the above in the abstract submission process.
How will the abstract be available to meeting attendees?
All Oral Presentations, Rapid-fire Oral Presentations and E-posters will be available in the AANS App. They will be published exactly as they are submitted, with no exceptions. Please proofread your abstract before it is submitted to avoid errors.
If I select that I am a medical student or resident and would like my abstract considered for Oral Presentation in the Young Neurosurgeons Research Forum, does that mean my abstract will not be considered for the Plenary, Scientific or Section Sessions?
No, abstracts are placed in all of the sessions based on the grade they receive from the panel of reviewers. Indicating that you are interested in presenting during the Young Neurosurgeons Research Forum does not exclude your research from being considered in the sessions listed above.
What is the review process?
Each submission is blindly reviewed by neurosurgeons whose specialty is within the category of submission. Last year, the committee of reviewers had more than 140 neurosurgeons participate in the review process.
Important: Registration/Attendance Requirement
As Presenting Author, if you accept to present either an Oral Presentation or E-poster, you must register and attend the 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting. Registration must be completed by Monday, April 2, 2018. If the Presenting Author does not register by this date, all accepted presentations, both Oral and E-posters, will be declined.
How do I change the presenting author for an abstract?
If you are unable to attend the meeting, a Change of Presenting Author Form must be completed and submitted by the registration deadline date of Monday, April 2, 2018. The new Presenting Author must then fulfill the registration requirement or the abstract will be declined.
Fill out the form here and forward the completed form to email@example.com. No changes will be made without receipt of the completed form, including updated disclosure information.
After the changes, all correspondence will then be addressed and sent to the new Presenting Author.
Important Dates for the 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting Abstract Center
- Submission Site Opens — Tuesday, May 23, 2017
- Submission Site Closes — Tuesday, Oct. 24, 2017, at 5 p.m. CDT