The AANS International Visiting Surgeon Fellowship aims to provide meaningful educational experiences in North America to international neurosurgeons from developing countries who will practice and/or teach neurosurgery in their home countries. Read below for the qualifications, requirements and application process for this prestigious fellowship.
- $2,000/month stipend for up to 3 months ($6,000 maximum)
- Reimbursement for one round trip coach airfare to fellowship location
- Travel reimbursement for U.S. domestic travel to and free registration for the 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting, April 28-May 2, 2018 in New Orleans, if recipient is participating in the fellowship in North America at the time of the AANS Annual Scientific Meeting.
The suggested length of the fellowship and financial support is one to three months. The AANS provides a monthly stipend only up to three months.
The applicant must be a neurosurgeon or neurosurgeon-in-training in a developing country as defined by the World Bank. He/she should be on staff at a local hospital (and preferably medical school) involved in neurosurgical patient care and neurosurgical education.
Applicants must locate and identify a neurosurgeon and program to sponsor their application at a Visiting Surgeon Neurosurgical Program in North America. Sponsorship means that a neurosurgeon in North America will supervise and mentor the applicant for the length of the fellowship (up to three months). Sponsoring programs are under no obligation to offer financial support. The letter from the sponsoring surgeon must specify that he/she will host and sponsor the applicant, if the applicant is awarded the fellowship, and strongly support the applicant's education plan.
All material must be submitted in English (including translations of certificates or diplomas). Applicants must be able to speak and understand English if their sponsorship location is in the U.S. The following materials are required:
- A detailed education plan for the Fellowship using this template.
- Your most recent curriculum vitae in .pdf or Microsoft Word format.
- A copy of your certificate, diploma, or other documentation of education – with an accompanying certified English translation is required.
- A sponsorship letter from the North American doctor/sponsor at the institution where you would like to carry out the fellowship.
- A letter of reference from your neurosurgery training program director. If you completed your neurosurgical training more than five (5) years ago, we will accept a letter from a senior neurosurgeon who can speak to your neurosurgical abilities.
- A letter of reference from either an AANS member, or an officer of your local or regional neurosurgical organization. Letters from such an officer must be on the letterhead of the local organization or list the officer’s title/role in the organization.
Applications will be judged on the following criteria:
- Specificity and feasibility of educational goals
- Scientific merit, completeness and clarity of the educational plan
- Likelihood the recipient(s) will contribute substantially to neurosurgery in their home country following the fellowship
The AANS International Programs Committee will review all applications and select the recipient.
Applications are available on MyAANS.org. You will need your MyAANS login (the e-mail address you have on file with AANS) and password. If you do not have a username and password set up, you can click on "Register Here" to create a profile.
Once logged in, scroll over My Applications among the options below, and select Grant/Fellowship. Only applicants from eligible countries will be allowed into the application area. To begin an application, select Create a new application. Then choose 2018 International Visiting Surgeon Fellowship from the options in the box, and click Continue.
Attn: AANS International Visiting Surgeon Fellowship
American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
5550 Meadowbrook Drive
Rolling Meadows, IL 60008-3852, U.S.A.