2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting
The educational program for the 2018 American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) Annual Scientific Meeting will include the presentation of scientific data in general and subspecialty section sessions as Oral Presentations, Rapid-fire Oral Presentations and E-posters. Abstracts submitted for the 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting are peer-reviewed and scored on scientific merit, originality and the relevancy to the field of neurosurgery. Although scientific data is important, the quality of the abstract is the primary determinant for acceptance by the AANS Scientific Program Committee.
The presenting author of an Oral Presentation, Rapid-fire Oral Presentation or an E-poster must register to attend the 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting by Wednesday, March 13, 2018.
Late-breaking Abstract Center
The Late-breaking Abstract Center opens Monday, January 8, 2018.
When is the submission deadline?
Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018, at 5 p.m. CST.
Standards for accepting late-breaking abstracts for presentation are much higher than those required for abstracts accepted for the general scientific sessions.
Abstracts should only be submitted as late-breaking abstracts if they meet the FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- The research is limited to highly significant and timely subject matter that was not available by the Oct. 24, 2017 deadline for 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting abstract submissions.
- Only abstracts deemed of high scientific priority and which merit presentation are part of the Late-breaking Abstract category.
- Late-breaking abstracts cannot be a revision of an abstract submitted during 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting Abstract Submission Center submission period.
- Late-breaking abstracts must not have been submitted, presented, accepted for presentation or published in any other scientific venue.
- Authors may submit only one abstract for a late-breaking session.
Abstract Center FAQs
How do I change the Presenting Author for an Abstract
If the presenting author is not able to attend the meeting, a Change of Presenting Author Form must be completed and submitted. Please complete the change of presenting author form and forward the completed form to email@example.com. No change will be made without receipt of the completed form. After the change, all correspondence will then be addressed and sent to the new presenting author. The deadline for changing a presenting author is Tuesday, March 13, 2018.
How do I print out my abstract once the AANS Abstract Center and the Late-breaking Abstract Center is closed?
Abstracts will not be shown in Abstract Corner once the submission deadline date has passed. To print a copy of any abstract submitted, Log in to MyAANS.org, click the “My Meetings” icon, choose “Meeting Certificates” from the drop down box, click “Abstract Submission History,” then click on the abstract you would like to print (this will open a PDF file of the abstract), click “file,” then “print”.
What are the presentation formats?
The highest-ranked abstracts will be selected for oral presentation in one of our three Plenary Sessions, seven Scientific Sessions, 10 Section Sessions, the Advanced Practice
Providers Plenary Session or the Young Neurosurgeons Research Forum. These sessions take place Sunday through Wednesday. When uploading slide presentations the format should be 16:9.
Rapid-fire Oral Presentation
The rapid fire oral presentation is limited to 3 minutes and 10 slides. The sessions are set up by submission category and scheduled on Wednesday. When uploading slide presentations the format should be 16:9.
E-posters are visible through the entirety of the 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting on the AANS 360 App and are available through the App for one year after the meeting’s conclusion. There are no physical presentation times or locations scheduled during the meeting. The presenting authors will have the opportunity to upload a supplemental PDF presentation in either poster or slide format (10 slides total) to accompany their original abstract submission.
- Abstract Center Notifications — Emails will be sent in early January 2018 to each submission’s presenting author.
- Late-breaking Abstract Center Opens — Monday, January 8, 2018.
Abstract invitation acceptance deadline – Thursday, February 1, 2018.
- Abstract invitations not accepted by this date will be withdrawn. Late acceptances will not be made – no exceptions.
- Late-breaking Abstract Center closes at 5 p.m. CDT on Thursday, February 22, 2018.
E-poster Presentation Management site open to upload PDF presentations – Monday, February 26, 2018.
- The presenting author must be registered for 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting to access the upload site. The registration fee will be based on my membership status as of March 1, 2018. Please Note: If you are not currently a member of the AANS, it takes about eight weeks to become a member, depending on the membership category for which you are applying. For more information on joining the AANS, please click here. Having an account on MyAANS does not mean you have started the membership application process.
- Abstract notifications for the Late-breaking Abstract Center — emails to each submission’s presenting author are sent in early March 2018.
Presenting Author Change Form and registration deadline – Tuesday, March 13, 2018.
- The presenting author must be registered for the 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting, if they are not the abstract will be declined and withdrawn. Late registrations will not be accepted – no exceptions.
Deadline for E-poster PDF upload— Friday, March 16, 2018, at 5 p.m. CDT.
- Late submissions will not be accepted – no exceptions.
Oral and Rapid-fire Oral Presentation Management site open to upload PDF slides – Tuesday, March 20, 2018.
- The presenting author must be registered for 2018 AANS Annual Scientific Meeting to access the upload site.