Updated August 12, 2002
AANS respects the privacy of its members and other visitors to its web site. AANS strongly believes that if electronic commerce and online activities are to flourish, consumers must be assured that information provided online is used responsibly and appropriately. To protect online privacy, AANS has implemented the following policy.
Most data AANS collects are used only to help AANS better serve its members and the neurosurgical community. It is our policy to collect and store only personal information that our members and visitors knowingly provide. If our privacy policies change, users will be notified via e-mail or a special announcement placed on the web site.
From General Users. AANS does not collect personal information from users browsing its web site, except through specific feedback forms. Completion of these forms is optional. Users of the public areas of AANS' web site browse anonymously. Only aggregate data -- such as the number of hits per page -- are collected. Aggregate data are only used for internal and marketing purposes and do not provide any personally identifying information.
From AANS Members, Conference Registrants, and Customers. Information provided to AANS through membership applications, meeting or seminar registrations, publication orders, and subscriptions include name, affiliations, business phone, and e-mail. Additionally, for some e-mails sent in HTML format by AANS to its members through its listservers and electronic newsletters, AANS will monitors whether a recipient subsequently clicks through to links provided in the message. This information is for the exclusive use of AANS and is used to enhance its products and the distribution of those products to its members.
Personal information may be used for internal AANS purposes by authorized AANS staff. Personal information will not be released to third parties except as noted below:
- The AANS provides a copy of some of its information regarding members to other not-for-profit educational organizations, for use in encouraging participation in Continuing Medical Education (CME) programs. The information AANS provides to these organizations includes only the name and address of the AANS member.
- The AANS produces a Membership Directory on CD that is available for sale to the public, and maintains an Online Membership Directory that is accessible through the web site. These Membership Directories contain the name, address, telephone number, fax number, membership status and e-mail address (if available) of every AANS member. The CD enables a direct link to the AANS online directory to allow users to obtain the most current address information for each member.
- Certain limited information (i.e., name and address of AANS members) may be provided to other organizations whose missions are consistent with the mission of the AANS, in accordance to established procedure.
- Members of the public, through the web site's Find a Neurosurgeon listing, may obtain limited information about practicing AANS members, including name, address, and telephone number (fax, e-mail and URL are included if the member has requested inclusion.)
- Pre-registration lists, including the AANS member's name and address, are available for sale to exhibitors in advance of the AANS Annual Meeting and prior to some Joint Section Meetings. In addition, certain personal information, including only the AANS member's name, address, telephone and practice focus, is available at the AANS Annual Meeting to exhibitors through a "lead system" mechanism. After the AANS Annual Meeting, exhibitors may purchase a list of the names and addresses of the physician attendees at the AANS Annual Meeting.
At the current time, we are not aware of any other circumstances under which AANS will provide or sell personal information collected online to third parties.
Correcting and Updating Personal Information
The AANS encourages members to update and correct their personal information regularly online. A review and update section is included on the AANS web site and can be reached via the Online Directory.
Retaining Personal Information
The AANS retains personal information regarding members indefinitely, and personal customer data for at least five years as dictated by business and legal requirements.
Credit Card Account Information
Credit card information provided to the AANS, such as credit card numbers, will be used only for billing purposes, to fill orders, to provide services, and for meeting(s) registration(s).
For publication orders and for annual meeting(s) registration(s), this may involve providing your credit card number to our designated business partners. The AANS and its designated partners will only use your credit card number to process transactions you request.
When members and customers choose to pay using their credit cards, AANS submits the information needed to obtain payment to the appropriate clearinghouse. Credit card information provided to the AANS will never be sold or shared with any other party, except as noted above. Neither AANS, nor its designated partners and agents, disclose credit card account information provided by its members and customers to outside parties.
Other Web Sites; Links
This web site contains links to other web sites. AANS is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites. If you want to know the privacy policies of the other web sites, please refer to the organization sponsoring that web site.
From time to time the AANS site requests information from users by way of surveys. Participation in these surveys is completely voluntary and the user has a choice whether or not to disclose information. Information requested may include contact information and demographic information. Survey information would be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the use and satisfaction level associated with the site, with membership services, or with issues affecting the neurosurgery community.
This web site and the information it contains are provided as a service by the AANS. This system is monitored to ensure proper operation, to verify the functioning of applicable security features, and for comparable purposes. Anyone using this system expressly consents to such monitoring. Unauthorized attempts to modify any information stored on this system, to defeat or circumvent security features, or to utilize this system for other than its intended purposes are prohibited and may result in criminal prosecution.
Restriction of Liability
The AANS makes no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of its web site and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions in the contents of this web site. No warranty of any kind, implied, expressed or statutory, including but not limited to the warranties of non-infringement of third party rights, title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and freedom from computer virus, is given with respect to the contents of this web site or its hyperlinks to other Internet resources. Reference in this web site to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public, and does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by AANS.
There is currently no mechanism for members to opt out of inclusion in the CD or online membership directory. However, members may limit the amount of personal information included in the directory and may opt out of other informational formats available to third parties. Contact the AANS Membership Department for further information.
THESE LEGAL NOTICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE