Medical Student Chapters
AANS Medical Student Chapters provide early support and leadership training to medical students exploring a career in neurosurgery. The chapters provide a forum for students to organize professional, educational and research activities within their medical schools, promote mentorship and facilitate participation at a national level for the next generation of neurosurgical leaders.
Benefits of founding or joining an AANS Medical Student Chapter include:
- Access to AANS opportunities, events and AANS Medical Student membership for chapter members;
- Assistance in developing relationships with local AANS members;
- Early involvement in the AANS Mentorship program and invitation to the mentorship sessions and social events at the AANS Annual Scientific Meeting;
- Early involvement in AANS Young Neurosurgeons Committee (YNC) leadership opportunities, meetings and projects;
- Availability of AANS-sponsored information pertaining to neurosurgery as a career, residency training programs, research opportunities, awards, etc.; and
- Eligibility to receive grants for educational programs.
Find out if your institution has an existing AANS Medical Student Chapter, along with sponsor and officer information for current chapters.
Before starting a chapter, or for help governing an existing chapter, please review the official AANS Chapter Rules and Regulations.
Does your institution not have an AANS Medical Student Chapter? Apply here to start one at your school.
Is my school eligible to form an AANS Medical Student Chapter if it does not have a neurosurgery department?
Yes. Your school does not need a neurosurgery department to have an AANS Medical Student Chapter.
Can osteopathic medical students form an AANS Medical Student Chapter?
Yes. Osteopathic medical students can form AANS Medical Student Chapters.
What is the difference between a chapter proposal and a chapter charter?
A chapter proposal is a brief description (one or two paragraphs) of your organization. There are three questions listed in Section IV of the application that should be answered in the proposal. The Chapter Charter is the Rules and Regulations.
What are the yearly chapter dues?
The chapter dues depend on the number of medical students in your chapter. The Chapter Sponsor will receive the dues invoice.
How do I know if the chapter application is complete?
An AANS staff member will review the chapter application and may request additional information. When it is complete, an email will be sent to your Sponsor, Chapter President, and Chapter Secretary to advise you that the application will be submitted for review and approval by the AANS Board of Directors
How long does the approval process take?
The full process generally takes four to eight weeks.