AANS Mentoring Program
The AANS offers the Mentoring Program to help you navigate the sometimes murky waters of a career in neurosurgery. North American residents, international residents and AANS medical student members are all eligible for the AANS Mentoring Program
A mentor can provide you with an opportunity to:
- Network outside your home institution, especially for medical students who do not have access to neurosurgeons;
- Ask about balancing your personal life with the demands of a career in neurosurgery;
- Discuss the pros and cons of academic versus private practice;
- Receive an outsider's insight on whether a fellowship should be your next step after residency; and
- Help identify ways to network after residency.
A seasoned neurosurgeon can provide guidance as well as address your questions and concerns. The AANS Mentoring Program will match you with a mentor, based on your responses to a short Mentee Survey.
After you complete the survey, a mentor you select will receive your contact information and make initial contact. During the initial meeting, be it via email or phone call, you can determine the best method and frequency to contact each other. The relationship between you and your mentor should be built on trust; consequently, issues discussed between you and your mentor should stay confidential.