Tuesday, April 16
7:00 am - 9:00 am
206 The APP and Neurosurgical On Call - When should I Call the Surgeon?
Moderator(s): Christi DeLemos, RN, NP; Marianne E. Langlois, MS, PA-C
Panelist(s): Laura Ellen Prado, NP; Susana L. Skukalek, DNP, NP-C
This breakfast session is for the advance practice provider who is or will be taking "call" for their neurosurgical practice. The session will cover issues frequently encountered by the APP who is covering the inpatient service, outpatient clinic/telephone triage and Emergency Department. Topics for discussion include keeping the lines of communication open with the surgeon as well as when the APP should “escalate the level of care”.
- Discuss the importance of an arrangement between the surgeon and APP as to when to call for assistance. Recognize that a novice provider should err on the side of caution and involve the surgeon early in the patient’s presentation.
- Recognize possible life-threatening emergencies in the ED that will require emergent surgical intervention.
- Recognize common postoperative patient complaints and those requiring urgent evaluation.
- Recognize the role the APP plays in prescription refills for the practice. Discuss the importance of having a collaborative practice agreement and good communication skills between the APP and the neurosurgeon.
- Recognize inpatient emergencies such as postoperative neurological changes, seizures, pulmonary and cardiac issues on the patient floor or post-anesthesia care unit.