Saturday, April 25
8:00 am - 12:00 pm
007 Building a Social Media Impact Platform and Online Branding in Neurosurgery
Director(s): Isaac Yang, MD, FAANS
Assistant Director(s): David Lee Dornbos III, MD
Faculty: Maya Babu, MD, MBA; Joshua B. Bederson, MD, FAANS; Jeremiah Nicholas Johnson, MD, FAANS ; Ricardo Jorge Komotar, MD, FAANS; Joseph R. Linzey, MD, MS; James K. Liu, MD, FAANS; Carrie Rebecca Muh, MD, FAANS; Gabriel Zada, MD, FAANS
As social media (#SoMe) has become increasingly integrated into daily life, the importance of developing and maintaining a professional online presence has expanded. Although initially designed for enhancing inter-personal and community communications, #SoMe has emerged as a key modality for maintaining engagement with a broad range of audiences critical to the medical field, including subspecialty colleagues in other locations or practice environments, patients and families, advocacy groups, peer-reviewed journals and the scientific community at large. In spite of the robust growth observed in physician spaces across numerous sites, #SoMe utilization among neurosurgeons remains relatively limited - an observation that surgeons attribute to limited time, perceived lack-of-benefit and concerns over personal or professional privacy.
This course serves two key aims pertinent to #SoMe for neurosurgeons:
- Improving education regarding the potential professional, educational and service benefits of #SoMe engagement
- Providing a practical introduction to the core #SoMe platforms
Additional content provides "How-To" resources on getting started, increasing visibility and engagement online and translating #SoMe status into academic or clinical gains.
- Identify evidence of patient interaction and reception of the neurosurgical online community.
- Use tips on practice building and brand awareness through social media.
- Identify the basics of online digital and social media terms and functions with the major #SoMe platforms and establishing a presence to engage with the neurosurgical community on each platform.
- Illustrate key strategies and techniques for efficiently cultivating a robust #SoMe presence with limited time and resources.
- Identify critical pearls and pitfalls for early success as a neurosurgeon on #SoMe, emphasizing protection of personal and patient privacy.