Sunday, April 29
7:30 am - 11:30 am
038 Update on the Management of Spine and Spinal Cord Injury
Director(s): Daniel Jin Hoh, MD, FAANS
Assistant Director(s): Sanjay Dhall, MD, FAANS
Panelist(s): Daniel C. Lu, MD, PhD, FAANS
Faculty: Michael G. Fehlings, MD, PhD, FAANS (Canada); W. Bradley Jacobs, MD, FAANS (Canada); Jesus Lafuente, MD (Spain); Nicholas Theodore, MD, FAANS; Claudius Thome, MD, IFAANS (Austria)
The objective of this course is to familiarize surgeons with the acute management of the traumatic spinal column and spinal cord-injured (SCI) patient. It will discuss the timing and treatment of the acute SCI patient with explanations for present and future treatment strategies. In addition, time will be spent focusing on pediatric and geriatric populations. The course will be presented through case presentations and attendees are encouraged to bring interesting and difficult cases for discussion.
- Review evidence-based guidelines for treatment of spinal cord injury.
- Detail management of spinal injuries including central cord injury and geriatric odontoid fractures.
- Discuss present SCI trials and treatment strategies.
- Review optimal treatment strategies in the care of SCI and spine trauma patients.
- Discuss various spine trauma classification systems and their role in clinical decision-making.