Neurosurgery Comments on Proposed 2021 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule
On Oct. 1, the AANS and the CNS commented on the 2021 Medicare PFS proposed rule. The letter stresses the need for CMS to take the following steps to prevent steep Medicare payment cuts to neurosurgery:
- Include the E/M increases in the global surgery codes;
- Eliminate the proposed GPC1X add-on code; and
- Waive Medicare’s budget neutrality requirement.
The letter also urges the agency to:
- Ensure accurate practice expense survey data collection;
- Accept RUC-passed values for new and revised codes;
- Revalue CPT® code 22867 (Insertion of interlaminar/interspinous process stabilization/distraction device, without fusion, including image guidance when performed, with open decompression, lumbar; single level); and
- Review the process for making national Medicare coverage determinations.
The AANS and the CNS also joined the Alliance in recommending that CMS take steps to prevent the planned Medicare payment cuts and establish policies that expand access to telehealth and virtual care services. Finally, the neurosurgical societies joined more than 40 national medical organizations in urging CMS to take steps to prevent the payment cuts.