Disclosures and Conflicts of Interest
Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) Standards for Commercial Support require anyone in a position to control the content of an educational activity or involved in the planning of the educational content including faculty, abstract reviewers, paper presenters/authors, planning committee members and the significant others of those mentioned to disclose all relevant financial relationships with commercial interests to the program participants prior to the start of the activity.
- The disclosure forms must be collected by your organization and returned to the AANS prior to the activity. Please see your meeting’s timeline/checklist for deadlines.
- The second slide of each presentation should indicate the speaker’s disclosure(s).
- For last-minute replacement speakers, you must get a disclosure from the replacement speaker. In addition, if that person has something to disclose, you must resolve any conflict of interest by completing the AANS Resolution of Conflict of Interest form. Lastly, the speaker must verbally disclose to the audience even if he/she has nothing to disclose.
- If the replacement speaker refuses to disclose or if you cannot resolve the conflict of interest, then that person cannot be faculty.
- Complete a Resolution of Conflict of Interest form for all individuals who reported a relationship with a commercial interest on their disclosure form. This must be completed by someone other than the individual with the disclosure.
- Send these completed forms to AANS prior to the activity. Please see your meeting’s timeline/checklist for deadlines.
- Refer to the Updated Standards for Managing Conflicts of Interest for further information regarding disclosures and resolving conflicts of interest.
Failure or refusal to disclose or the inability to satisfactorily resolve the identified conflict will result in the withdrawal of the invitation to participate.
Disclosure information is divided into two categories: those with financial or other relationships to disclose and those with no significant relationships to disclose.
The AANS and (insert name of non-accredited sponsor) control the content and production of this CME activity and attempt to ensure the presentation of balanced, objective information. In accordance with the Standards for Commercial Support established by the ACCME, faculty, abstract reviewers, paper presenters/authors, planning committee members, staff and any others involved in planning the educational content and the significant others of those mentioned must disclose any relationship they or their co-authors have with commercial interests which may be related to their content. The ACCME defines "relevant financial relationships" as financial relationships in any amount occurring within the past 12 months that create a conflict of interest.
Those who have disclosed a relationship* with commercial interests are listed below:
|Name||Disclosure||Type of Relationship*|
|John Smith, MD||ABC Instrumentation||Consultants|
|Jane Smith, MD||123 Drug Company||Royalty|
*Relationship refers to receipt of royalties, consultantship, funding by research grant, receiving honoraria for educational services elsewhere or any other relationship to a commercial interest that provides sufficient reason for disclosure.
Those who have reported they do not have any relationships with commercial interests: