AANS International Visiting Surgeon Fellowship
The AANS is committed to increasing its involvement in international neurosurgery, with particular interest in furthering educational opportunities in countries with limited access. One meaningful offering is the AANS International Visiting Surgeon Fellowship. The AANS funds two observational fellowships per fiscal year to provide meaningful educational experiences in North America to international neurosurgeons who will practice and/or teach neurosurgery in their home countries.
The AANS is happy to announce the recipients of the 2022 AANS International Visiting Surgeon Fellowship:
- Jigish Ruparelia, MSurg from India, will visit Rutgers New Jersey Medical School Department of Neurological Surgery under the observation of Anil Nanda, MD, MPH, FAANS, FACS.
- Yudy F. J. Lafortune, MD from Haiti, will visit Sainte-Justine Hospital, University of Montreal, under the observation of Alexander G. Weil, MD, FRCSC, FAANS.
The AANS International Visiting Surgeon Fellowship is an initiative to assist neurosurgeons or neurosurgeons-in-training from a developing country designated by the World Bank.
Two fellowship recipients will receive:
- $2,000/month stipend for up to three months ($6,000 maximum); and
- Reimbursement for one round trip coach airfare to fellowship location.
If the fellowship visit coincides with the AANS Annual Scientific Meeting, meeting attendance will also be provided. This includes:
- Travel from their fellowship location to the AANS Annual Scientific Meeting;
- Complimentary hotel room;
- A spending stipend for the meeting; and
- A general registration fee for the meeting.
The applicant must be a neurosurgeon or neurosurgeon-in-training from a World Bank designated country. He/she should be on staff at a local hospital (and preferably medical school) involved in neurosurgical patient care and neurosurgical education.
The AANS is excited to launch the 2022 International Visiting Fellowship Program by opening applications on April 15, 2021. Applications close July 15, 2021. Decisions on the 2022 International Fellows to be announced by October 1, 2021.
The AANS International Visiting Surgeon Fellowship has allowed surgeons from more than a dozen different countries to participate in observational fellowships in North America. View a list of past fellows below.
To contact the AANS about this fellowship:
Attn: AANS International Visiting Surgeon Fellowship
American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
5550 Meadowbrook Drive
Rolling Meadows, IL 60008-3852, U.S.A.
If you have questions about applying to the International Visiting Surgeon Fellowship, please contact Karen Yoshikawa at firstname.lastname@example.org, 847.378.0554 or toll-free at 888.566.2267 x554.