Maintaining Essential Surgery during COVID-19 Pandemic
On Aug. 10, the American College of Surgeons, American Society of Anesthesiologists, Association of periOperative Registered Nurses and American Hospital Association issued a “Joint Statement: Roadmap for Maintaining Essential Surgery during COVID-19 Pandemic.” The statement reiterates the need for “ongoing governmental action to alleviate the financial burden on physician practices, health care providers and facilities.” In addition, it outlines a list of principles and considerations to guide physicians, nurses and local facilities in their care in operating rooms and all procedural areas during the ongoing pandemic. These address topics such as:
- Regional cooperation critical to continuing to provide essential surgery;
- Supply chain;
- COVID-19 testing within a facility;
- Personal protective equipment;
- Case prioritization and scheduling; and
- COVID-19 issues for the five phases of surgical care.
Click here for a copy of the statement.